If you are against non-union lettuce and for clothing made from used dental floss, this is your book. Polly Horvath has written a fantastical kidnapping plot with a zany cast of characters including The Marmot, Madeline, a hooman (in fox-speak) with irresponsible hippie parents, kidnapping foxes and an entire bunny community with names like Mrs. Treaclebunny and Mrs. Biliousbunny (have kids look up those root words for vocabulary building).
Five reasons to love this book:
- What the heck are by-products?
- Humans don’t use litter boxes, even when they are considered a pet.
- Prince Charles makes a cameo.
- The setting is distinctly BC (British Columbia), O Canada is mentioned and Sophie Blackall includes the Canadian flag in the last illustration.
- Mrs. Bunny’s wisdom, evident in such quotes as ” ‘We read a lot of books. Children’s books mostly, because they’re always much more truthful than adult books. And much more entertaining.’ “